Inuka Coaching results & evidence.
The Inuka Coaching method is grounded in science. Everything we do, we measure, analyse and improve. Here you can read more on what data we base our claims.
A simple approach, grounded in scientific evidence.
1. Existing evidence base
Inuka’s coaching method is grounded in problem solving therapy. Does a 7-step, practical approach sound (perhaps too) simple? This simplicity is probably the reason research shows this method works for so many problems & people:
- Effective for complaints such as depression, anxiety & sleep
- Studied in over 24 countries
- Similar effectiveness as CBT, with slightly longer-term effects
- Also used for physical challenges such as coping with diabetes, cancer and countering obesity/weight loss.
2. Coaching method RCT
- Randomized Control Trial (RCT) with 580 participants
- Published in JAMA – Journal of American Medical Association (2017)
- Conducted by the Friendship Bench by Inuka cofounder Chibanda
- Showed the coaching method works for 78.9% of people (SSQ-20)
- Significant reduction depression (PHQ-9) & anxiety (GAD-7) complaints + increase in income
- Rolled out in practice by the Friendship Bench and partners in Africa & New York City: >1000 coaches trained, >120.000 people supported, consistent high-quality results in line with research papers above.
3. Study of the Inuka platform
- Pilot cohort study with 80 participants
- Published in Cambridge Global Mental Health Journal (2021)
- Showed the coaching method helps 72% of people in the at-risk category (struggling, srq >7) to go back to resilience (SRQ-20)
- Significant reduction depression (PHQ-9) & anxiety (GAD-7) complaints.
- Study conducted by Philips Healthcare, data analysis by top-university (LSHTM).
4. Inuka's results in practice
Studies are great, but how does Inuka work in practice? We see strong results in line with the research above:
- Trained > 50 coaches
- Coached over >2000 people
- 2 out of 3 of at-risk people who complete a program (+/- 4 sessions) go to resilient
To be published
Here Inuka won’t stop. We work together with scientists of the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine and others to publish our latest results in peer-reviewed journals.
We also welcome more scientific partners to independently review our results or conduct studies of Inuka. Interested? Email us at [email protected]!
Want to know more?
We can imagine all this information can be slightly overwhelming. We are happy to have a calm conversation with you over a nice cup of tea or coffee, and discuss the benefits of Inuka Coaching for your organisation.
Inuka's coaches are rated 4.8 / 5
(based on 506 unique reviews)
Learn more on how Inuka works.
A 5 minute, scientifically and WHO validated questionnaire to give insight, connect to the right help and track progress.
Grounded in the best science out there and best described as simple, practical, and results driven. Discover our 3-step approach here.
Results & evidence
The Inuka Coaching method is grounded in science. Everything we do, we measure, analyse and improve.
Coaches & coaching academy
Learn more about our coaches, their passion to help others, our inuka academy training & quality control system - and how this results in real, lasting results.
Activation & implementation
Inuka’s aim is to reach the ~25% of employees that are struggling but not yet sick. To reach them in time, we have developed a set of science-based (and fun!) interventions.
Questions? Ask Robin or Arjan.